Authors: DL Jones, T Hopley, SM Duffy, KJ Richards, MA Clements,
Contributor: M Garratt
Orchidaceae comprises about 9% of the Australian flora. Of the approximate 1700 indigenous species, about 1300 have been named and the rest await formal botanical recognition. The Australian orchid flora is mainly dominated by terrestrial species (86%) with the remainder (14%) adopting an epiphytic habit. Many terrestrial species are prominent flowering elements of the understorey in a range of habitats in the mesic parts of Australia, whereas the majority of epiphytes occur in tropical Queensland. This project presents the current status of orchid taxonomy, including the results of recent revisionary treatments affecting Australian Orchidaceae at generic level, in the form of an illustrated interactive key for the identification of Australian orchid genera, including supplementary information.
The project has been developed over a three-year period through dedicated efforts of a small team:
David Jones – botanist with wide experience of Australian flora, specializing in Orchidaceae. David led the project and contributed the essence of the product and all basic taxonomic, biological and ecological information, as well as preparing line drawings, electron micrographs and photos.
Tara Hopley – research assistant responsible for project coordination, character coding for genera, fact sheet preparation, image selection and incorporation, lots of energy to drive colleagues along.
Siobhan Duffy – graphic designer, with computing skills and expertise in Lucid keys, responsible for layout and design of the product, image enhancement and manipulation, fact sheet compilation, irish humour to balance the team.
Karina Richards – technical assistant involved in initial character coding, character notes and image selection.
Mark Clements – specialist in Orchidaceae, contributing the Australian Orchid Name Index, images and checking of distribution maps.
Xiufu Zhang – research assistant in early stages of project, character delimitation and coding.
Marion Garratt – technical assistant in early stages of project,
enhancement of line drawings and initial coding.
Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research
Australian National Herbarium
CSIRO Plant Industry
GPO Box 1600
Canberra ACT 2601
Tel: (02) 6246 5533 Int: +612 6246 5084
Fax: (02) 6246 5249 Int: +612 6246 5249
See 'About Lucid' and the Lucid Help in the help menu of the identification key, or visit www.lucidcentral.com
PO Box 1139 (150 Oxford Street)
Collingwood VIC 3066
Tel: (03) 9662 7666 Int: +61 3 9662 7666
Fax: (03) 9662 7555 Int: +61 3 9662 7555
© CPBR 2006
All rights reserved.
Use of this program constitutes acceptance of the licence agreement accompanying this package.
Copyright in the Product is and remains the property of the Director of National Parks and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation through its Division of Plant Industry which together comprise the Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research (CPBR).
Copyright in the Software is and remains the property of the University of Queensland.
Data and/or illustrations are included in this product with the permission of original authors who retain the copyright therein.